Monday, June 9, 2014

"Somethin' Bad" - Miranda Lambert & Carrie Underwood Review


          In order to review this single, I had to leave all of my huge expectations in my drawer. Yes, I had insanely huge expectations for this single. Well, who didn't? It’s a duet between the two country reigning queens. Though after a few listens it got better for me, I've got to say I’m still disappointed to say the least.

            Though both singers have brought “something bad” before with their catalog, they have amazing gems that overshadow those missteps. I expected this to be a home-run; instead it was just a “hit”. Yes, a “hit” is good, but it won’t stand the test of time nor will stand with any of these ladies best gems. Their voices blended really well, and that’s a lot to say because Underwood have managed to effortlessly out sing her duet partners in the past; Lambert really stood her own and both ladies make a killer combination. The song is also catchy and short, and with both of their names attached to it, this will definitely hit #1 in the Country Airwaves and when the video comes out it will reach the Top 20 in Billboard without a doubt.

            The problem with “Somethin’ Bad” it’s not that it’s bad, it’s just lackluster. There is no story-line at all. So, Miranda Lambert was supposed to go to church but instead she just took a bag of money, ran into Carrie Underwood and they drove to New Orleans where they made bad things happen. The vague lyrics and the lack of a bridge made impossible for the listener to relate to the main characters. Consider that it was co-written by Chris DeStefano though, who also co-wrote the dreadful “That’s My Kind of Night”.

            The song will serve its purpose; it will give Lambert her first number one streak (as Automatic reached #1 on the Country Airplay chart) and give the album legs so the better songs (which are not as radio-friendly) can see the light of day and it will give Underwood momentum before her first single drops out. It will be a smash; it will rock at the arenas and it will give the women in country music a win this year. Will it go down in history as an epic duet between two forces to be reckoned? No, but it will sell and it will be eaten like candy by radio stations.

So, I left my expectations in the drawer and I’m still disappointed.

Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment